See the schedule, locations and start times here https://nnwheelers.co.uk/time-trials/events/
Rider Checklist Summary: Follow guidance below – Sort out your own assistance in case of a mechanical/puncture, bring pen/pencil to sign on, pin on own number, working rear light, line up less than 5 mins before start, self start (foot down) when told to start, NO drafting, NO head down riding (one warning then DQ for the season), shout number at finish, do not wait in layby for results but check online.
Updated 1st May 2021
Current members with a fixed number for the season wishing to continue for the second half of the season need to make a payment for the remaining events from 6th July (excluding hill climb). The fee for this will be advised by 1st July as depends on any early season race cancellations. This is £3 per race (which is the CTT fee and the club does not profit). Payment details as follows: North Norfolk Wheelers, sort code 09-01-29, account no.19987590 (bank Santander). We have a maximum of 30 rider places available until further notice. You still need to sign on as per the instructions below. Entries are non-transferable to other riders, but if not attending let us know to allow space for other riders. In the event that races are cancelled by us and not rescheduled then a refund will be given.
The other way to pay where space is available within the current 30 rider limit is online in advance of the race. We are only currently accepting entries from club members but guests can contact the club and if space they can enter – see details below. If payment is not made prior to riding and you turn up to ride then no future entries will be permitted for the rest of the season. We will review payment methods later in the season based on current Covid-19 guidance. Numbers will be allocated on the day when you turn up to sign on.
Please follow the specific Covid-19 guidance for our club events in line with the current CTT guidance as follows:
- Competitors should not attend if they feel ill in ANY way or if family members have any symptoms. An elevated resting heart rate or exceptionally quick to react heart rate during warm up can suggest an underlying asymptomatic illness of ANY kind. You should NOT start the event (DNS) and leave immediately. Do not go to the start line if you feel this is the case and notify the organiser of your intention not to start as a result of an adverse warm-up.
- As is stated in the risk assessment, the onus is on the rider on whether or not to travel to a specific event. It is not the responsibility of the organiser or promoting club to police this.
- Due to a cap in numbers (30 riders) we are only currently accepting entries from club members but guests can contact the club and if space they can enter. Payment will be online via Bacs two days before the event (i.e Sunday for a Tuesday race) and must be made to the club account stating ‘TT fee and rider surname’ in the comments. It is £5 for 1st and 2nd claim members, guests are £6. Please make this payable to North Norfolk Wheelers, sort code 09-01-29, account no.19987590 (bank Santander). If you set this up in advance then easy to pay online or by phone app. When the field is full the start list will be published on the website and Facebook. If the event is cancelled on the day your payment will roll over to the next event you enter.
- If the car park is crowded do not double park and use alternative parking, e.g. Pretty Corner Woods (sign posted off the main road 200m to north). All static warm-ups are prohibited in the layby. Set-up bike and then warm-up on the road or at an alternative location.
- Riders must not gather in groups of over 6 in the layby regardless of current guidelines.
- A helmet is strongly advised and is mandatory for junior riders. Junior riders under 18 also need a parental consent form handed in at the start. https://www.cyclingtimetrials.org.uk/documents/index/guardians
- A rear light that works at the start is mandatory, without one you cannot ride.
- Spectators are welcome to view from laybys along the route, but do not gather close to the riders in the layby.
- All riders must sign on at start from 30 minutes before the start and get allocated number (where applicable). No sign on after event starts. Riders to sign start sheet preferably with their own pen/pencil and add emergency contact details.
- 1st and 2nd claim paid-up members who have pre-paid for the season will have been allocated numbers and will keep these for the season. Check you have paid your membership and provided a membership form. These members do not have to ride each week but no refunds are given for absence. Anyone with a prolonged injury or unforeseen circumstances may apply for a partial refund at the discretion of the club. Other riders paying per week will take the disposable number or other number (to be returned) allocated to them on the night. Put your own number on, unless you have a member of household/or bubble with you to help.
- No support can be provided if a competitor suffers mechanical difficulties. It is strongly advised that all competitors carry with them a spare inner-tube/tubular, pump and tyre levers if required of have an alternative method of getting picked-up. It is strongly advised that all competitors carry a mobile phone and take with them the telephone number of the event organiser or person to assist. Please contact the organiser (or ask someone close by) if you have failed to finish the event.
- Riders to line up 1 metre apart up to 5 minutes before their allocated start time. Please ensure no more than 5 riders queuing – if more than 5 please wait elsewhere to line up (e.g. rider 1 at 7.00pm, rider 2 at 7.01pm and so on). Riders set off at 1 minute intervals.
- The timekeeper will state 30 seconds to go then count you down from 10 seconds – riders will start themselves from a standing start with one foot on the ground.
- Normal CTT rules apply with drafting, i.e. pass the rider at a safe distance (preferably >1m) and the passed rider to allow a gap of >30m to form so as not to gain an advantage.
- On crossing the line shout your number at the finish to help the timekeeper. No sign off is required but guests to return the permanent number if used . Competitors on finishing must not stop at the finish and must not loiter in groups at the car park and must pack away and leave immediately upon completion of the race.
- At the end the provisional results will only be published online via the club Facebook page within 30 minutes of last rider and later the website to avoid gathering round a printed results sheet. Final results with handicaps will be processed later in the week and put on the website.
- Stay alert stay safe race safe.
In accordance with Cycling Time Trials (CTT) regulations we must remind riders that the onus is on each individual to ensure that their bike position conforms with CTT rules, observe the rules and be responsible for their own personal safety. The use of a working rear red light at the start in all events is compulsory. A helmet is also strongly recommended (and is mandatory for junior riders). There should be no warming up along the course after the time trial has started and no U-turns on the road.
Time trials will be in accordance with the CTT rules https://www.cyclingtimetrials.org.uk/articles/view/11, road or TT bike. (Road bike category is 65mm max depth wheels, road helmet, no TT bars or hands over front of bike). Team TT and tandems now allowed in 2021. We welcome new/guest riders to the club. If new to time trialling please read pages on the CTT website – see here https://www.cyclingtimetrials.org.uk/articles/view/28
Junior riders under 18 also need a parental consent form handed in at the start. https://www.cyclingtimetrials.org.uk/documents/index/guardians
A decision to cancel an event is normally made a few hours prior to the start or sometimes at the start if sudden change in the weather by the head marshal (e.g. if heavy rain/spray affecting visibility or standing water) and will be published on the website and/or our Facebook page (Here). In the event of a cancellation pre-paid entries will carry over to the next race.
The insurance cover through CTT is aimed primarily to protect race organisers and committees, including cover for claims arising from incidents involving competitors injuring other competitors or officials during an event. CTT recommend that all competitors/cyclists should consider purchasing personal third party insurance, either through membership of a national cycling organisation, from a commercial source, or as part of their household insurance. Details of CTT insurance is listed Here .
Start and Route Locations
1. 10 mile time trial Pretty Corner/Sheringham start (B10/5R). Coming from Cromer on the A148 there is a large layby just before the right hand turning to Sheringham (Click for Location). There is usually ample room to park if not the main Pretty Corner Car-park is signposted (brown signs) nearby. The Strava route is here > Route
2. 18.5 mile Hilly time trial start is located on the Sheringham Weybourne road. At Sheringham roundabout head west towards Weybourne. As you come out of Sheringham there is a Ford garage called Henries (Click for Location). You are allowed to park there and the start is just down the road outside Splash. The Strava route is here > Route
3. 10 mile Thursford time trial start is situated on the A148 at Thursford. Parking and sign on is just west past the garage on the A148 in Thursford, on the north side on the large grass verge (Click for Location). The actual start is about a mile to the east past the Crawfish pub at the junction of the A148 and Hall Lane (which leads to Gunthorpe). Do not turn in the road, turn into Thursford road opposite and cross. At the end of the TT continue to the BP garage and turn around here – no U-turns. The Strava route is here > Route
4. 15 mile Aylmerton time trial start is on the A148. Come from Cromer on the A148 and just before Aylmerton turning there is a small left hand turning / layby (Lions Mouth) which leads to the back of Felbrigg (Click for Location). You can park here and the start is opposite the layby. Overflow parking here (Click for location). The Strava route is here > Route
5. 25 mile Sheringham – Holt – Felbrigg time trial. Coming from Cromer on the A148 there is a large layby just before the right hand turning to Sheringham (Click for Location). There is usually ample room to park. The Strava route is here > Route
6. Beacon Hill Climb West Runton (BHC/5). Meet at Roman Camp Car-park at the top of the hill out of West Runton (Click for Location). Start is at the bottom of the hill close to the sign for the village. The Strava route is here > Route